Muslims can give 1/3rd of their estate to a charity like Islamic Aid or to anyone who are not entitled to receive share from inheritance. Whatever percentage the person selects, is then deducted and the rest is divided as per Islamic inheritance rules.

For example, if the person wishes to give 25% to a charity like Islamic Aid, the remaining 75% is calculated to be distributed among those entitled to receive share in inheritance.

Enter Surviving Relatives

Relative Name Count Qualification
1) Husband Must be legally married. Secret or undocumented marriages are not eligible.
2) Wives Multiple wives are eligible. Secret or undocumented marriages are not eligible. A divorced wife is eligible if iddah period has not yet completed.
3) Sons Adopted son, step-son, or illegitimate son is not eligible.
4) Daughters Adopted daughter, step-daughter, or illegitimate daughter is not eligible.
5) Grandsons Only son's sons are eligible. Daughter's sons are not eligible.
6) Granddaughters Only son's daughters are eligible. Daughter's daughters are not eligible.
7) Father Illegitimate father, or step-father is not eligible.
8) Mother Illegitimate mother, or step-mother is not eligible.
9) Grandfather Only father's father is eligible. Mother's father is not eligible.
10) Paternal Grandmother Father's mother is eligible.
11) Maternal Grandmother Mother's mother is eligible.
12) Full Brothers Brothers who share the same father and the mother with the deceased.
13) Full Sisters Sisters who share the same father and the mother with the deceased.
14) Paternal Brothers Brothers who share the same father, but a different mother.
15) Paternal Sisters Sisters who share the same father, but a different mother.
16) Maternal Sibling Brothers who share the same mother, but a different father.
17) Full Nephews Only brother's son is eligible. Sister's son is not eligible.
18) Paternal Nephews Only paternal brother's son is eligible. Paternal brother's daughter is not eligible.
19) Full Paternal Uncles Father's full brother.
20) Paternal Paternal Uncles Father's paternal brother.
21) Full Cousins Father's full brother's son.
22) Paternal Cousins Father's paternal brother's son.
Please note:
  • Non-Muslim relatives are not eligible for inheritance. They might, however, receive the bequeathal.
  • If the wife is expecting a child delivery, then the baby will receive the share.
  • Relatives not in the above list are not among the standard heirs. They are not eligible for inheritance.
 

Shares by Category

Shares by Individual



Calculation Steps:
  • Wife gets the prescribed share of 1/8 (Rule 2b).
  • Mother gets the prescribed share of 1/6 (Rule 6b).
  • Distribute the remaining shares according to relative priority (Rule 14)
  • Son is the only heir remaining receiving share of 17/24 (Rule 14).